Monday, February 4, 2013

What a day.

So.  Today was a big day.  I woke up at 6 and practiced (as mentioned in my earlier post) then went to the gym.  I worked back, biceps, and core which always makes me feel my strongest.  It was wonderful.  I then was able to do cardio at the end with a 4 mile run.

Meh.  Not too slow.  Definitely not too fast.

Meet Casey and Chantel, the two amazing people I get to train with.

I had my lesson at 2:00 today with Professor Hirst.  It completely changed my entire timeline, perspective, and plan.  So in other words, changed my life.  In the best way possible.  I have recently experienced a shift in my practice big time.  Instead of focusing on becoming the best musician I can be, and instead of focusing on developing as a pianist, I have been focusing on deadlines.  And it is destroying my ability to feel like a healthy, full, and satisfied pianist.  I hate performing music that isn't ready.  I feel like the pressure is preventing me to take my time to understand, love, and appreciate the piece I am playing.   So, the answer was simple.  I am going to not think about a deadline.  At all.  I can still play my recital and earn my masters any time in between now and January 2014.  This is a leap of faith, and an experience I haven't ever had before.  I am a scheduler.  

After a long afternoon of teaching and YC responsibilities I came home to Gizmo Pierre, who is the single best greeter in the universe.  When I get to give him my full attention I can finally stop stressing and just exist.  It is the best way I have found to unwind.  I love to work on testing Gizmo's patience, and pushing his limits.  We normally play an epic game of indoor fetch then after 20 minutes or so he'll start scratching the counter that has his toys and treats in it.  Then I make him wait very patiently to eat his treat.  Tonight he even could handle me placing the treat directly on and right in between his paws.  

And now, in addition to being a little too crazy about my dog, I get to blog.  I think this is going to be a healthy outlet for me.  It is so strange to come home and not tell anybody about your day.  It's almost like it didn't happen...



3 comments:

  1. Well that was fun--read all the posts I've missed by having the wrong blog address. HUGE breakthrough on the piano front. NO timeline? Definitely not your modus operandi. Should prove to be liberating! And I'm right there with ya on the greeter skills of dogs. I can't wait to see Lexus' little nose poke under the garage door when I drive up. Excitement abounds!! I need to teach them both to be a bit more disciplined though. Gizmo is a pro! Fun blog, fun posts. Keep it up!!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mom!!! I'm excited to have another virtual spot to interact with you. Wish I lived closer.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete