Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Fury monster costume options.

When I woke up this morning I knew that the only thing I wanted to do was go to the gym.  And so, I had the luxury of doing just that.  Golds has truly become a sanctuary to me, a place where I can go and  escape.  I literally feel guilty about the amount of time I am spending there, but I've realized sometimes a truly good workout takes a couple hours.  Today 2 1/2 hours literally flew.  I lifted with Casey, and we actually gave enough time in between sets that our bodies could rest.  So it was slow, but heavy lifting.  It really has been an incredible experience actually experiencing what is like to "feel stronger" in a very measurable way.  I can do more weight, and more reps.  And it hasn't taken that long to feel significantly stronger even.  I know that all it takes is a focused and sincere work outs, consistently.  I think, in the end, if you were to want to do anything or be anybody, this is what it takes.  I think it takes a focused and sincere investment, consistently.  

I have been thinking about this idea of energy, and what it means to have it.  And what it is.  Because I think there must be a certain amount of energy us human beings have.  And I think this amount of energy varies depending on each human, and of course varies in ones own life as well.  And the things we do take completely different amounts of energy, that isn't at all proportional to the time time being spent, while we are investing that energy. Sometimes after teaching for 30 minutes I can lose 50% of all my energy if it is  hard lesson.  Other times a 30 minute lesson feeds my energy and I have more after I am done.  Normally it is somewhere in between this broad spectrum in a more neutral "energy zone" if you will.  Sometimes when I practice for 3 hours it feels like only 10% of my energy was used.  And when I go to the gym, my physical energy gets sapped, but my mental energy can get exponentially bigger.  And performances can be incredible experiences.  It takes energy to manage nerves and confidence issues, then it takes huge amounts of energy to truly perform in a very sincere, honest, and selfless way, then it takes energy just processing the experience of the performance once it is over.  That can be flat out exhausting.  Anyway, I think my point is...I'm out of energy today.

The Tuesday and Wednesday Monster Concert rehearsals came and went successfully.  For those of you who don't know, the Monster Concert is a major production the piano department puts on each year in Kent Concert Hall.  All of the YC kids learn duets.  The concert is full of 21 different pianos, and so each kid is playing with a huge ensemble.  It is an incredibly empowering experience for these kids to be apart of something so big.  And they all have to work so hard to stay together, watch the conductor, etc.  We have a skit going on that ties in each piece.  This years theme is "We've Got Rhythm" and the pieces are great.  Dr. Olson's goal was to pick songs, "that even the dads would recognize".  Duets like Journey's "Don't Stop Believin," The Pink Panther, and a beetles song are being played.  And we even sprung for a new monster costume this year, and I must say.  It's freaking adorable.  Or as my students say, which I think is pure genius and hope to use at appropriate moments, "totes adorbs".  I got to help pick out the costume. It was fun to be apart of this project and getting emails labeled, "Rury monster costume options"from my professors.  And yes, all parties had very strong opinions on which monster was obviously the best. If anybody is interested in seeing the concert it is this Saturday at 6:00 pm.  HERE is the link to purchase tickets.  I will be backstage hoping that nothing absolutely catastrophic happens.  Or making sure that when something catastrophic happens, none of you know about it.  And notice the programs.  Yup.  I totally did those.

So now I am home again safe and sound.  Feeling good about all of the things that were accomplished today, but feeling like I am still behind.  I think this is just what it feels like to be in grad school.  Or is this just what it feels like to be an adult? ... 

Gizmo and I practiced, "take a bow" tonight.  My little circus doggy.

Best.  Treat.  Ever.  I just know thats what he's thinking.



3 comments:

  1. I hope to be at the Monster Concert Saturday, so I'll be waiting with baited breath to check out the new costume! And PS, I'm pretty sure being a Piano Performance Grad Student is pretty much the busiest time you'll have in your life. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom! I didn't know you were planning on coming. That's exciting!! I will really look forward to seeing you, if you make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Emily. I think you should considering blogging again because I love reading about your day-to-day stuff. And it's a good way to keep a family history. Plus, your blog doesn't even know Bryan exists.
    The End.

    ReplyDelete